Ways Humans Affect the Environment
Human innovation has brought a lot of benefits to society. From creating useful inventions to discovering new concepts, human beings have left their mark on the planet in more ways than one.
Negative Human Impact on the Environment
Unfortunately, not every innovation has a positive impact on the planet. Some of the effects that human activity has done to the world include the following:
- Pollution in the land, air, and water
- Light pollution
- Noise pollution
- Shortages of natural resources like water and land for forest creatures
- Endangerment and extinction of some animals; and
- Increased environmental disasters
As you can see, these examples can have a lasting impact on the planet. Excess consumption and waste of resources affect the balance of the ecosystem, which add harm to other living creatures. Without proper handling of waste and the like, its effects can be irreversible in the years to come.
Positive Human Impact on the Environment
Nevertheless, not every human impact on the environment is hostile. Human activity has also brought a lot of positive effects on the planet. Some of these examples include:
- Organizations that are establishing wildlife preserves and national parks to protect ecosystems. These organizations help protect endangered animals and plants susceptible to changes in the ecosystem.
- The enforcement of environmental protection laws by governments. These laws discourage further damage to vulnerable areas that may be homes to endangered species of animals and plants.
- The introduction of energy-efficient alternatives. Energy-efficient light sources, promoting reusable cups and straws, and biodegradable items help reduce waste.
- Discoveries in the oceans and space. Discoveries of microorganisms and new planets can give us an idea of where we should focus our priorities for the following inventions.
The Bottom Line:
Humans have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. While it may take a while to reverse some of the adverse effects, it helps first to start being Eco-friendly at home. Consider contacting your local community leaders to create an environmental initiative in your neighborhood.